Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Dear Anxiety, why I dislike and like you.


Dear Anxiety

I first discovered who you were when I was diagnosed with Postpartum Depression.
I realize you have been there for a long time.
When I started taking medication for PPD there was something in there for you. 
You calmed right down. You lost most of your power, but it's the trying to manage you that will hopefully be the death of you.



You have used every pinch of stress against me. 
I have felt like I was the most impatient person to walk the earth, because of you. 
I have felt like such an awful mother, wife, and friend, because of you.
I have sent many prayers up to my Heavenly Father asking him to change what I thought was me, but was you, because of you.
I have beaten myself up more times than I can count, because of you.


Then I met your partner anxiety attacks...


You usually come visit me before I am about to go out anywhere like, shopping, Church, appointments, before cleaning, organizing, etc.
Anxiety attacks you have proven to me that it takes minimum 2 hours to get ready to go out.  (No, I don't mean two hours on getting myself ready).

Even if we get the diaper bag ready the night before, the children's, husband and my clothes, and the food ready the day before, you still slow me down. You stay the whole time and even hours afterwards. It is usually in the car that I start to recover. Car rides are usually quiet so I can relax. I don't avoid going outside because sometimes you come, I will over come this one day! Practice, practice, practice managing you.

While having an anxiety attack I feel like I am doing everything super fast.
 I sweat,
 I feel hot,
 and I feel like I am getting a lot of things done.
 In fact, I am moving super slow.

 At times, you have caused a lot of tension in our home and sometimes my husband needs to stop me and remind me that you are here. If he doesn't, you stay far too long. Sometimes you have power for hours. When my 2.5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism last month. You were surprisingly calm for awhile. My friends and family were a huge help of love and support and still are. The worries and fears that come with that kind of diagnosis are normal. I cried and cried and tried to get through the stages of emotion quickly so that I could be there for my daughter. It was then, that I saw what healthy stress was, and the stress that comes from you.
Sometimes I dislike you for how you make me feel physically and emotionally. Also, my husband does a lot to help, but you lurking here, doesn't give him as much credit as he deserves.




When I remember you are here, you lose your power. You don't receive credit for any effect you have on me. I am learning to manage you. You will be managed and I can be happy with or without you.

Even though life is hard when you are here, I do like you too. Why?

What I like about the both of you:

Without you, I would NEVER be able to understand anyone else who suffers from anxiety and anxiety attacks.


  • You have taught me about myself.
  • I've learned how real mental illness is. This is real.
  • I've learned that I can diffuse your power.
  • I've learned that you are manageable.
  • I am not alone.
  • I am loved with or without you.
  • I have learned once again that I can ask my Heavenly Father for help with anything tiny or big!
  • https://www.pinterest.com/explore/anxiety-attacks-symptoms/
  • Anything that is a big deal to me, is a big deal to God. 




You HAVE HELPED ME SEE HOW BIG MY BRAVE IS!!


No comments:

Post a Comment